The American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) is an individual membership professional organization representing more than 93,000 member physical therapists (PTs), physical therapist assistants (PTAs), and students of physical therapy. APTA seeks to improve the health and quality of life of individuals in society by advancing physical therapist practice, education, and research, and by increasing the awareness and understanding of physical therapy’s role in the nation’s health care system.
Transforming society by optimizing movement to improve the human experience.
Barriers to movement will be reduced at the population, community, workplace, home, and individual levels.
- Reform payment policy to reflect the essential role of physical therapists in movement, health and quality of life.
- Establish mutually beneficial partnerships to enhance society’s understanding of physical therapists’ movement expertise and remove barriers to movement.
- Physical therapists will develop and implement community-based measures of mobility.
- Improve society’s recognition and understanding of physical therapy and physical therapists as movement system experts.
- Leverage technology to advance physical therapists’ role in enhancing movement.
Transform the Profession
Physical therapist practice will deliver value by utilizing evidence, best practice, and outcomes.
- Physical therapists demonstrate consistency in practice based on outcomes and evidence.
- Physical therapists self-identify as movement system experts.
- Ensure that physical therapist and physical therapist assistant education prepares practitioners for contemporary practice.
Transform the Association
APTA will be a relevant organization that is entrepreneurial, employing disciplined agility to achieve its priorities.
- Develop and refine data sources to drive business intelligence in the areas of public affairs, professional affairs, finance and business affairs, and member affairs.
- Identify the sources and users of physical therapy information in an effort to make APTA the definitive source of such information.
- Achieve a greater market share of membership.
To learn more about the American Physical Therapy Association, visit their website.