Who They Are
The American Academy of Pain Medicine (AAPM) is the medical specialty society representing physicians practicing in the field of pain medicine. As a medical specialty society, the Academy is involved in education, training, advocacy, and research in the specialty of pain medicine.
The practice of pain medicine is multi-disciplinary in approach, incorporating modalities from various specialties to ensure the comprehensive evaluation and treatment of the pain patient. AAPM represents the diverse scope of the field through membership from a variety of origins, including such specialties as anesthesiology, internal medicine, neurology, neurological surgery, orthopedic surgery, physiatry, and psychiatry.
To optimize the health of patients in pain and eliminate the major public health problem of pain by advancing the practice and the specialty of pain medicine.
They are committed to:
- the highest standard of patient care
- scholarship, science, and research
- upholding ethical standards and professional integrity
- advancing public health
- Visit the Member Center to learn about membership opportunities
- Register for the 33rd Annual Meeting – Pain as Public Health Issue, March 15-19, 2017
- Visit the AAPM Education Center for online access to continuing medical education programs
- Read the Position Statements – including the recently-published, For the Primary Care Provider: When to Refer to a Pain Specialist (PDF)